Thursday, November 15, 2012

Isodore Newman School

Thursday, Nov. 15. I find it interesting that Isodore Newman School is located at 1903 Jefferson Street and was started in the year 1903. Like in the Quarter, there is no place to park. It's a hassle. The Book Festival takes place every fall and I was kindly invited to participate. I'm not very good a plugging my own work to a bunch of strangers, Mary P. does that for me in a most superb manner. I won't sell one book and she sells 5, and she wasn't at Newman with me. Melissa was off with Noli and little Gary, those kids love to read and wanted to buy every book in the store. So, I'm sitting there at a table with a stack of books and a fake smile, thinking I should take up knitting when Noli comes up with a little friend and says, "That's KK! She an author!" and there was such pride in her voice, as if she was showing off just the very best relative she had! Turned out the little girl (and I can't remember her name) was Ann Mentz's great niece? Carli's granddaughter. The Lamantias and the Mentzes were Hammond families for many years. It's a small world!
Then along comes Christie and STeve Kennard and Christie. They're grandchildren go to Newman. She has an E-Bay business called Spannar (that's close, not sure)  a combination of Spangler-Kennard and she picks up a book a says, "I"m putting this on E-BayThat's the way to go. The wave of the future. Four million people hit on E-Bay every day. Certainly at least one will want to buy your book!"
What can I say? Go for it! The lesson in this is, there's always a nugget of something that comes through. The hours spent sitting and smiling aren't a complete waste. All I have to do is give myself an attitude adjustment!

No comments:

Post a Comment