Thursday, November 8, 2012

Johnny in the Early Morning

I thought 8:15 was early to climb the 24 steps to WTGG Tangi96.5FM radio station for an interview with Johnny Chauvin about my new book Secuestro. As we were going up we met Melissa from Hammond Regional Arts Center coming down, waving a Jamaes Michalopoulos invitation. She'd been on Johnny's program reminding everyone to come to the November 9 opening, meet the artist and enjoy refreshments. His artwork will hang at the Foundation Gallery for a few weeks. Following Melissa were three young women from Sheriff Edward's office--I don't know what their project was, but they were highly animated and enthusiastic.
What a wonderful venue! How thoughtful and accommodating Johnny is to interview one and all who have a cause or a project. The Dowdys, present owners of the station, have endorsed "Johnny in the Morning"  and the program continues as a service to the community. Mary Pirosko was with me, and it was like good ole home week. She and Johnny shared the mike for many years.
Johnny read Secuestro and loved the descriptions. He turned to page 4: "The doctor, fat as a hippopotamus, spilled from a lawn chair. He crammed his enormous bulk between his wife Berta on one side and his mother --a little parrot woman with a gray topknot--on the other. He puffed on a long cigar. His mother raised a febble wing and waved away the noxious smoke." I was touched that he liked the description. Actually, when he read the passage in his sonorous, radio voice it did sound pretty good. It takes so long for a book to get into print, I actually forget most of what I write! (Age appropriate?) I do remember that a few hours later in a shoot-out I "off" the old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment